By now, we are all aware that social media has had a tremendous impact on our culture, in business, on the world-at-large. Social media websites are some of the most popular haunts on the Internet…
Here is a closer look at the effect of social media on politics, business, socialization as well as some of the negative effects such as cyber bullying and privacy.[...]Impact on BusinessNet savvy companies are using social media to advertise their products, build customer loyalty and many other functions. Interactions and feedback from customers help businesses to understand the market, and fine-tune their products and strategies. Many firms organize contests and give away prizes to enthuse consumers to visit their social website page more often. Compared to television advertisements and other expensive forms of marketing, social media presence is a cheap and effective means to enhance brand image and popularity.
- Watch for the effects of positive and negative press regarding your brand and address any inaccuracies--but NEVER falsify,
- Keep the brand, message, and copy consistent across multiple social networks,
- Leverage each social network for what it's best at--engage everywhere, but understand the longevity of a tweet vs. a Facebook post.
[...]Impact on ProductivityMany companies have blocked social networks on their office Internet as addicted employees can distract themselves on such sites, instead of focusing on work. In fact, studies show that British companies have lost billions of dollars per year in productivity because of social media addiction among employees.
- Connect with knowledge experts to solve problems faster and more efficiently,
- Reach out to potential customers and "beta" brand ideas with almost zero overhead.