As an entrepreneur, I bridge the business and technology worlds to help organizations build values-aligned strategies and partnerships that include product, marketing, content, and community with a passion for innovation and iteration. These strategies focus on the people involved with technology and technology’s role within an organization; not as a replacement for individuals, but as a tool to empower users, build relationships, and drive business strategy.
As a leader and mentor, I focus on building and enabling diverse teams driven to a core mission–the long-term success of the organization. I believe in bringing together passionate, life-long learners and providing them with the tools, opportunities, and mentoring that allows them to grow into their best selves and provide exceptional results for the organization. It’s also vital to mentor and educate across organizational boundaries and reporting chains to keep communication flowing and bring transparency and inclusion to any change agents.
As an application architect, my passion lies in designing and implementing right-sized solutions for customers of all sizes and keeping an eye towards process improvement, agile development, professionalism, and constant learning. Whether leading a large team or working solo, my mindset allows me to easily balance strategic and day-to-day development projects. Over the past 20 years, I’ve designed, developed, implemented, and integrated custom technology solutions for a wide variety of organizations and markets.
I thrive on technology’s constant, rapid change that provides continuous opportunities to learn, grow, and improve the organization, my peers, and myself.
Over the past 20+ years, I’ve designed and implemented Microsoft-based (.NET) web technologies and developed custom solutions for a wide variety of organizations.
Summary of Qualifications
- Passionate about planning and building right-sized solutions with an eye towards human interaction, process improvement, iterative development, and professionalism.
- 15+ years of practical C++, C# and .NET experience building object-oriented web applications, automation tools, and framework libraries. 20+ years development and system integration experience.
- Masters of Business Administration and Bachelors of Management Science from Baker University; Summa Cum Laude graduate in both programs.
- Committed to constant learning and the improvement of myself and those around me in aspects of business, management, and development.
H&R Block, Kansas City, Missouri
Lead Product Manager, Data & Platforms, Mar 2020 - Present
As a leader in the Global Consumer Tax (GCT) Data & Platforms team, I work to shape the future of consumer tax prep with an eye towards the technologies that customers use to engage with us and how those technologies can empower customers, development, and the enterprise. Our team focuses on mobile, desktop software, chatbot and AI, testing and experimentation, IoT, self help, data reporting and analytics, and more!
Drive the enterprise strategy around mobile technologies to create engaging mobile-first experiences for key target markets. This strategy bridges the gaps between various consumer channels to create a single brand experience for our customers.
Drive the enterprise strategy around desktop (installable) software and how complex clients use our software in tandem with other channels, such as online or in-office support. Work with partners and industry leaders to understand the technology options available to us and deliver the future of software to our customers.
Drive experiences that guide customers to expertise, promote customer care, and promote cost reductions through the user of automated tools in our chatbot, voice intents (IVR), and self help systems.
Research and understand the diverse needs of customers across the United States engaging in tax preparation and how Block can provide tools to improve and empower their tax and financial decisions.
Research and develop business strategies around features–promotion, retention, and loyalty–to constantly iterate, improve, and excite customers.
Mentor team members to provide opportunities for growth in product design, analytics, and technical expertise. Strive to foster an environment of curious and bold problem solvers constantly looking to improve their understanding of the organization and the tax and financial services ecosystem.
Champion the use of data-driven decision-making, automation, and quality reporting across our team.
Work with our team and partners to enhance technical understanding of client platforms to improve our overall product offerings.
remBrand Sports, Inc. o/a VIKTRE, Toronto, Ontario
Chief Technology Officer, June 2015 - July 2019
VIKTRE is a sport and athlete-focused media platform. It is the online social network for the world’s elite athletes who play or played the game. VIKTRE is all about the athlete: their voice…their passions…their point of view.
We’re building that community using a mesh of collaboration, social media, content curation, and publishing to engage and grow connections between athletes, their peers, and the public at-large.
- Establish, build, and iterate on the technical vision and roadmap; lead all technology product and integration efforts.
- Provides organization with product and trend research, ROI analysis, and competitive market analysis to grow the organization into multiple verticals and international markets, including regions such as the UK and Western Europe, South America, and China.
- Develops and assists with iteration on the financial and business models of the organization—from technology to events to on-boarding and customer experience.
- Provides guidance and promote daily stand-ups on content strategy, marketing, and engagement between our athletes, fan communities, staff, and third-party partners.
- Leads and/or participates in technical sales discussions with investors, potential athletes, agencies, vendors, and brand agencies.
Technical & Product Roles
- Hands-on development and architecture design for three concurrent platforms (product offerings): the social “fan” platform, the collaborative “athlete” platform, and a full-service API for our mobile applications and integration partners. Primary development stack focused on .net technologies (asp.net MVC/Core) and SQL Server/MongoDB.
- Hands-on development and architecture design for native mobile iOS and Android platforms interfacing and expanding on the backend API and integration with third-party service providers including live streaming services, on-demand photo and video manipulation, and content management systems in Objective-C and Java.
- Develops, assists, and mentors team for tracking and reporting organizational health using technology, customer, and in-house success metrics.
- Leads and mentors an international mixed skill team of contractors, internal staff, and interns working in-office and remote across the world.
Starters Group, Las Vegas, NV
Advisor, Software Development & Cloud, Feb 2014 - Mar 2020
We’re a new breed of startup accelerator based in Las Vegas. It’s all about community and collaboration–building a startup incubator by empowering startups with an injection of knowledge, experience, and support–not just cash.
My work focused on helping match startups with service providers, technology platforms, teams, and assist with developing and guiding project roadmaps from inception to market.
Tracky, Inc., Las Vegas, NV
Vice President, Development, May 2012 – Dec 2020
Connect. Collaborate. Share.
Hired through a mutual developer connection to provide senior development and leadership to the Tracky social collaboration platform. During my work with Tracky, we expanded our product offerings to include a patented social publishing platform, content “fan pages” for fundraising, and have customers ranging from high school yearbook classrooms managing their deadlines to international clothiers managing their entire sales and PR operations.
- Senior developer and architect overseeing all development and technology consultancy projects for the organization.
- Focused on building technology and business relationships with technology partners, contractors, and customers.
- Lead and mentored a mixed skill team of contractors, internal staff, and interns working across 8-10 concurrent projects for internal use and Tracky customers.
Currently retained as an executive board member, advisor to the organization, and technical consultant.
Wichita Public Schools, Wichita, KS
Information Architect, Student Achievement, July 2004 – May 2012
Full cycle management of web technologies for internal and public consumers. Extensive work with research and needs analysis, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide technology solutions as well as strategic planning for future needs for back office, core business (K-12 education), and public customers.
I’ve had the opportunity to design and implement several key platforms during my tenure:
- Responsible for all web architecture direction and implementations at an enterprise level for USD 259.
- Strategic architect and developer of an enterprise-wide incident tracking and reporting system to allow better visibility, reporting, and organizational training opportunities within the district.
- Extensive research and development integrating applications into the classroom workflow, specifically at the elementary and early childhood levels.
- Key architect and developer of grading and reporting applications for PreK to grade 5, approx. 25,000 students and 5,000 teachers. Process improvement reduced grade returns to same-day and saved the district over 500,000$US per year. This continues to save the district tens of thousands of dollars per year in ScanTron paper, time, and postage.
- Key architect and developer of an online enrollment for standard/core and magnet programs. The first year had almost 30% participation and completion–far exceeding expectations and with rave reviews from parents and staff. This process is now standard for all enrollment within the district.
- Strategic partner for planning for future needs for back office, core business (K-12 classroom/education), and public consumer customers.
Customer Service, Sept 2002 - July 2004
Shifted from “Product Support” role focus in-house for MIS-centric projects. Extensive work on process improvement and creating and conducting classroom-based training for district staff.
- Pioneered online video training for both hardware and software classes using LiveMeeting for “bring a lunch” classes and Camtasia/Captivate recorded classes.
- Developed and taught evening and weekend hands-on technology courses focusing on hardware, software, and common core skills.
- Worked with staff to enhance customer service experience and responsiveness by standardizing documentation and procedures.
- Maintained Dell certifications in Desktops, Laptops, and PowerEdge servers during this time and reviewed Help Desk Institute (HDI) certifications for myself and Customer Service staff.
Product Support, Aug 2001 - Sept 2002
I provided on-site technical support, training, and planning for Title 1 (K-12) schools as well as two administrative centers. This role allowed me to work with building staff to provide on-site training and diagnostics for desktop hardware, software, and networking services.
The role specialized in a unique software system, called Jostens, that provided specialized learning tools, education grants, and promotion for at-risk schools. All Jostens systems fell under my jurisdiction, including requirements for advanced vendor certifications and training.
During this position, I maintained Dell certifications in Desktops, Laptops, and PowerEdge servers and held a MCSA, A+, Network+ and various vendor specific certifications.
ActiveMatrix Solutions, Rose Hill, KS
Owner, Mar 1999 - Dec 2001
Provided technology consulting services in and around the Wichita, KS metro area.
- Focused on technology migration and implementation planning, web development, LAN/WAN networking, and customized training (classroom and individual) with a small, diverse team.
- Experience in business sectors such as avionic engineering, transportation/heavy hauling, legal, real estate, and consumer services.
- Active member in the Rose Hill and Wichita Chambers of Commerce and local community organizations.
ActiveMatrix Solutions was closed in December 2001 to provide more time to persue other ventures.
Aero-Mach Labs, Inc., Wichita, KS
Information Services, May 1997 - Dec 2000
A multi-year summer/after school job to dig into UNIX.
Aero-Mach is a medium-sized aircraft engineering shop and provided me with a firm understanding of AIX mainframe management, development, and system architecture using UNIX and how those technologies rolled out to various levels of WYSE user terminals.
- Experience working with AIX Unix servers, WYSE terminals, and multi-operating system networks.
- Experience developing client-server applications with Delphi (for Windows) and C/C++ programming languages (in a *NIX environment).
- Developed on-site, computerized certification testing systems to meet state and federal regulations for engineering and technical staff.
Magic Technologies, Inc., Wichita, KS
President/CEO, Apr 1994 - Feb 1999
Computer consulting focused on custom hardware and software solutions for home and small businesses in the Midwestern United States with focuses the aviation, real estate, and general SMB sectors.
- Extensive work with home automation, process improvement and technology migration (pre-Y2K), and business roadmap planning.
- Partner with Microsoft Corp. during Windows 98 rollout, working with local and national press agencies in the United States for implementation guidance and media publicity (radio, television, printed news).
- Active member in the Wichita Chamber of Commerce and local community organizations.
Magic Technologies, Inc. was acquired by a Wichita, KS-based technology company in February 1999.
Baker University, Wichita, KS
Masters of Business Administration (MBA), 2006 - 2007
- Graduated with honors, Summa Cum Laude.
- Research focusing on human computer interaction (HCI) and using technology as a means of process improvement while maintaining and refocusing staff and team members.
Baker University, Wichita, KS
Bachelors of Management Science, 2004 - 2005
- Graduated with honors, Summa Cum Laude.
- In the 99th percentile for outgoing comprehensive exam (highest score in graduating class and historically).
- Research focused on applying “corporate style” change management and process improvement techniques in non-traditional environments (public K-12 education).
Butler County Community College, El Dorado, KS
International Business, 1999 - 2001
- Dean’s Honors for academic excellence.
- Member of Phi Theta Kappa Honors society.
- Research focused on business law and international policy related to technology and communications.
Method and Apparatus for Distributing and Correlating Collaborative Communications
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
Cloud4SMB, August 26, 2013
Session: Cloud Migration Strategies for Startups and SMB
Discussion, case study, and panel to present how Tracky migrated from a traditional self-managed rack infrastructure to a full cloud-based, virtualized environment with CloudSigma. Topics included cost analysis, security, virtualization technologies, and implementation best practices.
Follow-up articles and interviews:
The Importance of Flexibility in Cloud Migration by Rich Steeves (TMCnet Managing Editor)
SSDs Transform Cloud Economics by Mike Vizard (Independent IT Blogger)
Tracky Finds Flexible, Cost-Effective Public Cloud with CloudSigma for Social Collaboration Software by BusinessWire (General PR)